Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Reasons I Began Practicing in this Field


When I began practicing my field in medicine, technology was still very basic and mostly found in the instruments we used. In the more recent times, things have definitely changed and as a doctor, I not only had to learn how to hone my skills but I also had to learn how to be technologically efficient as well.

 

Back then, I did not own a computer and I honestly did not want to have to do anything with it but now I not only have a desktop (at work and at home) but I also own an iPad and an iPhone! Not only that, I’m also sort of into social media at the same time. I am an avid user of Facebook, where I like to  share photos and post funny stories for my friends and I to discuss and laugh about and I also know how to use Instagram! I’m not very good at it though but hey, to say that I’m outdated would be a lie and I know I’m hip! Hihihi.

 

At the center, things are very high tech and most of our documentation is done on a computer instead of writing like we used to do before. Recently, we’ve changed our database program and we’re definitely seeing the benefits.

 

I think it’s great that we’ve decided to go green and refrain from using so much paper. I remember how fluttered my desk would be before and how time consuming it would be to document each patient's progress. But now, documentation is faster, it’s safer and it’s even easier to consolidate information when I need it!

 

They say that you can’t teach old dogs new tricks but in my field of work, it’s important for us to be sponge like and absorb as much information as we can in order to create better work scenarios for the benefit of our patients, as well.

 

Fun fact, we do not allow our patients to use computers or have access to the internet at the center while they are admitted. For the first few weeks, we like to detach them for the world so we can try a hard detox on them and sometimes, the internet can be a bad influence on them.

Whoever made the saying “Rehab is for quitters” is a shmuck and we don’t like him!





No comments:

Post a Comment