Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ordinary Is NOT a word I would Use to Describe my Job

Ordinary isn’t a word to describe working in a rehab center. But if you’re like me living in one, whose routine is to wake up and get ready and immediately check your assigned patient, then ordinary is acceptable.  You’ll get use to the new comers, forced and was admitted by their wife or mother. You’ll get use to the patients who finds a way to their old routine. You’ll get used to those patients who are emotionally drained from an accident or death. You’ll get used to them and find it ordinary. Reminding them that their number one goal is to get out of the institution, is one of the things listed on your routine.

If you’ll ask me ten years ago what I want to do with my life, I’d say I want to be build a sculpture that will be known and be seen by tourists. I was desiring to paint the streets, the city with my ideas. It is basically far from where I am now. Things change and you’ll desire for more practical things. I experienced working in an advertising company. I thought I would find what I’m looking for in that place of creative people. It was three years of stress, liquor and smoking. Next thing I know, I am jobless and lonely. My sister decided to get me some help before I lose everything I’ve earned in my bank account.

It wasn’t easy to trust strangers in a facility who are paid to help people like me. Full room of strangers. It was quite frightening, during my first week.  I got used to it like the other patients. Not drinking was easy, but quitting from cigarettes did become an issue. They introduced me to electronic cigarettes, until I finally decided to quit. After rehab, I decided to move on. I found something to live for. Being in a rehab facility made me realize what life is all about, and it’s not something you want to get wasted. I decided I want to help them, like how I got it. I went to med school, and now I’m in a rehab center. 

The other day, I received my birthday present from my sister. It was an skin care anti wrinkle cream called Life Cell. It was like a Christmas ghost package to me. There was a note attached to it that says “In case you’ve forgotten it’s your birthday”. Then I remembered that day when she took me to that rehab facility, it was my birthday.

I’ve always been thankful for what she did. Grateful that I’ve gotten help. I realized that the question wasn’t “How ordinary is your life?” It should be “Life is extraordinary”. Life is extraordinary, though some days seem to be ordinary.  Life is extraordinary, and you should rejoice and live with its package. Life is extraordinary, after all you’ve been through. Life is extraordinary and time is running, you have to recover soon and get out of this facility.

Sources:
http://eternallybeautifulwomen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment